Winter Squash and Bacon Casserole
Sweet winter squash, salty bacon, and ground beef make a delicious, comforting casserole that’s easy to put together for a weeknight. Feel free to sub sweet potatoes for the squash if that’s your preference.
Write a review
- 1 butternut or acorn squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 6 strips bacon, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, with juice
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the squash. Simmer for 5-6 minutes, until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook until crisp and remove with a slotted spoon, reserving for later.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook until soft.
- Add the beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Stir in the tomatoes.
- Transfer this mixture to a casserole dish.
- Mash the squash lightly and cover the beef.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Serve the casserole topped with the reserved bacon.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
- Calories 428
- Total Fat 19.2g
- Total Carbohydrates 16.2g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8g
- Sugars 2.4g
- Protein 46.6g