Mashed cauliflower makes an excellent substitute for traditional potatoes in this recipe, although you can sub sweet potatoes if you like as well. Made with rich, grass-fed beef and vegetables, this is an easy and healthy alternative to a classic comfort food.
Write a review
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken or beef stock
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the beef, onion, carrot, and garlic.
- Cook until the beef is no longer pink and drain the fat from the pan. Transfer back to the stove and add the thyme, tomato paste, and stock. Bring to a boil, and simmer until liquid is reduced by about half. Add the peas and transfer the mixture to a casserole dish.
- Put the cauliflower florets in a large microwave safe bowl and add a few tablespoons water or broth. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes until very tender. Remove and add the coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper and mash until very smooth, using a food processor if necessary.
- Spread the cauliflower mixture over the beef and bake for 25-30 minutes until top is browned. You can broil the top for a minute or two if you like it to be very browned.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Information per serving
- Serves 4
- Calories 383
- Total Fat 15.4g
- Total Carbohydrates 12.4g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3g
- Sugars 5.4g
- Protein 47.9g